Text and photos (c) Mark Hertzberg
Frank Lloyd Wright’s A.D. German Warehouse (1915) is safe, thanks to the generosity of Glenn and Mary Schnadt of Richland Center, Wisconsin. The building, which has been closed for several decades, was purchased by the Schnadts late last summer. They, in turn, have donated the building to the newly-formed A.D. German Warehouse Conservancy, Inc. which is now raising money to restore it and considering proposals for how to best use the building.
The Schnadts were honored at a community open house on the first floor of the Warehouse Saturday June 7, in honor of Wright’s birthday (June 8). Several hundred people attended the open house.
Paul Corcoran, mayor of Richland Center, thanks the Schnadts for their generosity. Henk Newenhouse attended, dressed as Mr. Wright.
Lon Arbegust surprised the Schnadts with a framed copy of their wedding photo, which he found in the local newspaper archives.
Ron Scherubel, past executive director of the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy and a board member of Frank Lloyd Wright Wisconsin, was one of the speakers.
The warehouse conservancy has a Facebook page. Contributions are welcomed: PO Box 436 Richland Center, WI 53581